Guardian Savings Bank was chartered in December 1919, just 23 years after the incorporation of the City of Granite City. Guardian was originally called State Loan and Savings Association. In 1990 it became Guardian Savings Bank when it changed from a State to Federal Charter.
The original Bank charter lists the names of H.F. Niedringhaus, George W. Niedringhaus and Hayward Niedringhaus as original stockholders of the Bank. The Niedringhaus family name is important because Granite City and Granite City Steel Works were both founded by brothers Frederick G. Niedringhaus and William F. Niedringhaus.
Guardian resided in several downtown Granite City locations until it purchased the building at the corner of Niedringhaus and Edison in 1960 where it resided for 45 years. In 1980 a new office was built at 3800 Nameoki Road and that continues to be the bank’s home today.
Joseph G. Boggs served as the first managing officer from 1919 to 1933. Succeeding Boggs as managing officer was Douglas F. Little who served until his retirement in 1971. Robert E. Backs was elected President in 1971 and served until his retirement in 1988. James Seiz succeeded Backs in 1988 and retired in 2012 after 42 years at the bank. Wilson Loch was promoted and serves as President today.
Since 1919 five Chief Executive Officers have guided Guardian through depressions, recessions, good times and bad. We are proud of our past and continue to work to serve the financial needs of our current customers.
The current board chairman is Charles Juneau of Juneau Associates. The directors are Julie Waymire, Co-Owner of Dempsey Adams Carstar; Optometrist Mark Kleindorfer; Dentist David Dombek; James Seiz retired President of the bank and Wilson Loch current President of the bank.
Rachael Friedel is our Vice President & Corporate Secretary.